Monday, May 16, 2011

Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life

"Beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy. Human beings have the awesome ability to take any experience of their lives and create a meaning that disempowers them or one that can literally save their lives."- Tony Robbins


  There was a point in time when I thought, like Charlie Brown, that there was a dark cloud over my life. I thought God loved everyone else but, somehow, he decided that my life had to be difficult. I felt abandoned, lonely and placed a bunch of guilt on myself. I watched relationships crumble with little to no explanation. I destroyed quite a few, bombed them in a preemptive strike. The common denominator in all of my problems was always, me. In the story I told myself about me, I was a victim of circumstance. If the light bill was too high this month, it wasn't that I burned electricity, it was because I had a magnetic force in my life that attracted misfortune. 


It took a long time for me to open my eyes. I was very resistant at first, because it was easier to be a victim of turmoil than it was to take responsibility or any part of it. If I could sit back and act like an innocent bystander, I didn't have to take any of the blame. The reality was that I had this story in my head that told me that this was my life. While I questioned everything else, I never questioned this story. I never wondered why God would give up on me. I convinced myself that God had a perfectly good reason. But, I knew that I was a good person in my heart, so it conflicted. 


It started slow. I started listening to the voices that were bouncing around in my head. I would think about doing something and they would start whispering, "You can't do that". "Who do you think you are?" "That's only for people with money and you'll never have enough money to do that." "We don't do that." No one wants to believe that those voices are playing in the background, but they are and like a tape. They play all day, subliminally preventing you from doing what you need to do. They tell you to lay back down when you get the idea to go take care of something. They create fear and work against you when you decide to strike out.


Don't get me wrong, sometimes they are good. It's your internal alarm system. Those voices tell you not to touch fire or don't step out in front of speeding car. But, they can be over-programmed when you've experience things in your life that send them into overprotective mode. It's very similar to the car that you get close enough, just to look at it, and it's alarm system is screeching. The system is overly sensitive. But, sometimes, it's unhealthy. That's when it's time to check those negative thoughts that are running in the background like a ticker. Otherwise, they can lead you to depression, hysteria or a total shut down. 


Here's the truth. There is nothing bad about you. All of us are born pure and good. We are corrupted by the fears of our surroundings. But, you don't have to be a victim of that forever. You can decide to be different. We were given free will and every moment is a choice. Choose to tune into that negative thinking. The next time you feel a sense of dread, stop and hear what is going on in your head. Is it negative noise? Constant Chatter? How do you stop it?


CHALLENGE IT. Is it true? Is what is being said true? Ask yourself. Once you tell yourself it's not true, it will shut up. Trust me. And when it shuts up, it's not creating havoc in your life. Whether you believe it or not, this negative background noise is manifesting in your life exactly what you DON'T want. If you want to cutoff the drama, you have to tune into the negativity. 


As, Tony said, beliefs have the power to create. What do you incorrectly believe about yourself that is creating issues and havoc in your life? You were born to be loved and happy. The only way to manifest happiness is to get rid of all this noise that tells you otherwise. It doesn't serve you and in the story of your life, I hope you can believe that you were meant to be happy. It's true. 






No comments:

Post a Comment